Monday, May 6, 2013

Hunting the elusive morel.

     Over the years I have spent way too much time looking for mushrooms.  Heck, I don't even like to eat the danged things that much.  It is all in the batter anyway.  I would call them tasty(i.e. in my parlance, salty)-but that is mostly due to the battering.
     However, wifey claims to have a hankerin' for 'em, so I dutifully shuffled off to seek some morels this morning.  Got my boots on, pulled my cap down over my eyes(hafta keep the sun out of my eyes) and headed out to the back side of the 40 acres a lookin'.  I had to walk uphill all the way to the woods through the mud of the cornstalk stubbled field-we seem to have mud everywhere here in nemo that is not graveled or concreted this year.  Finally got to the timber after about a 10 minute trek with both hips killing me, and began my search.
     Always been told that may apples are an indicator of morels; so, obviously, when I see some may apples,  I start a closer examination.  There are a lot of may apples out there in the woods, and I believe I looked under and around most of them in that 40 acres, but I never seen hide nor hair of even one mushroom.  I made the big loop all through that 1/4 mile stretch of woods, dodging black berry briars and tree stumps(loggers done a job on the woods last fall), and all I got for my efforts was hot and sweaty.  I have about concluded that finding mushrooms is not one of my gifts.  I am fair at the hunting, but my finding skills seem to be in need of a little honing.
     My daddy used to find a few mushrooms-but he never taught me how to find them.  So, either it is all luck, or there is more to search and discover than meets the eye.  May have to tackle the search again before the mushroom season is over, but that 45 minutes I spent stumbling over my feet was enough for this old boy for today.  Had to come back to the house and sit in my easy chair for a spell after all that hard. work.  And as far as I can tell, I got only one tick.  So maybe wearing the old green gum boots was a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment